I have been saying that a lot over the last two months, but it is true. Sure many times before I tried to get out of the hole of darkness and my oh my did I have good intentions. I had all of these what should we call them.... "plans" of getting better. Plans is a good word, because you can have PLANS all day long but never succeed at the goal. This could be due to many things, a bad plan, a an excuse plan, a plan with no action.. you get the picture.
I am going to use some of my plans to be better and successful from last year see if you can figure out where I went wrong.
1. When I get home and back with my people I will lose the weight again.
2. I am just spiffing up around here until I get home.
3. When I lose 40 lbs I will start running again
4. If I spend all of my time taking care of others the depression won't find me.
5. Get a new bike it will be nice to ride the loop
6. Grab weights from NC house so you can build some muscle
7. Plant the plants make the deck pretty.
Do you see the problems? Let me put them in there from my point.
1. When I get home and back with my people I will lose the weight again. (but never get there and gain 40 pounds - this plan was not a plan it was an excuse to continue to wallow in fat)
2. I am just spiffing up around here until I get home. (half ass projects that just were a get by and not a well thought out forever plan- Half-assed Plan)
3. When I lose 40 lbs I will start running again (get discouraged walking because it doesn't feel as good as running and just stop doing that- again not a plan and an excuse to continue on the same path)
4. If I spend all of my time taking care of others the depression won't find me. (spend all the time focusing on others while the depression mutilated me even when others were saying.. PUT ON YOUR OXYGEN MASK I was so afraid of where I was I couldn't take the time to work on me - this was a HORRIFIC PLAN)
5. Get a new bike it will be nice to ride the loop (ride once- This was a great idea and plan... but there was no action therefore what good did it do. None)
6. Grab weights from NC house so you can build some muscle (leave in floor, always starting on Monday - Excuses and no action)
7. Plant the plants (but become overwhelmed and half ass take care of them. This was a wonderful plan but there just was not a full execution I imagine a lot of things took control of this one, the half ass behavior because you know I am going home soon soooo.. the overwhelming because I didn't view their care as a gift to myself etc etc)
How crazy is it that I can sit here and pull out where the plan failed and why?? The plans didn't fail because I was stuck here, or because my dad was so sick, or because I had so much work, or because I was doing too much for others, or because I didn't have the means to do things.. they failed because my plans were full of excuses and REASONS to fail! I was so hell bent on being somewhere else, getting to a certain point, or a Monday to start my plans that there was just no way in the world I could ever succeed.
This year the plans are just different.
1. Run. It may be ugly, it may be slow, but Run. In July you have a 5k, in October you have a half. Run.
2. This is home, there is home, bloom where you are planted, I just happen to be one of those plants that you can propagate. I was planted here 50 years ago, and I replanted some of me else where. I can be me and be successful in more than one place. This is home. There is home. Treat it as such. Dream big, make plans, tear something up and make it better!
3. Take care of YOURSELF! Period. No.. no period EXCLAMATION MARK. Yes other people need you and depend on you but until you take care of you, you are short changing everyone! Do the things that make you happy. Eat right. Take the meds. See your Dr. I think you will find that taking care of others will be so much easier.
4. EXERCISE! (even if exercise doesn't look like lifting weights .. you know like working outside for 10 hours a day) Stop waiting on, getting back to "your people", you are your own people and you have people here and there.. enjoy all of it! Stop waiting on Monday to start anything.. TODAY IS THE BEST DAY. Use the equipment in front of you, you have all you need even if you have nothing but what is in you!
5. Lose the weight. I think you are going to find that if you number 3 and number 4.. number 5 is going to take care of itself, but please stop saying "When I lose XYZ I will...." because frankly you don't know that. Enjoy the process and the journey but stop hanging things on that number.. especially your happiness or goals other than the next weight goal.
6. Plant the plants. Take care of the plants. The methodical, repetitive care will calm your mind.
7. Every Monday lay out your goals for the week, not just your exercise but project goals, allow these to change as you need, moving something doesn't mean failure it simply means you are adapting and evolving to better be successful. (this week I am just going to use last weeks because.. it is a good plan)
8. Allow yourself the moments of sadness, but don't live there. Even the road to successful is filled with pot holes of disappointment, on these we grow taller and stronger. Realize it is part of the process and not failure!
That is a lot to take in this morning isn't it.. well it is for me anyway. So I am going to take a page out of my bushy tailed friend Dave (he is on a branch in front of me currently), I am going to stand up .. shake my tail for a minute and get on with my day!
Signing off with this, do you have a plan for something, should the way you are looking at the plan be modified to be better worded for success?
Peace Love and Light